I wanted to make a cake for Vienna that was as healthy as possible; especially considering it would be her first time eating cake and most of the ingredients found in the recipe. With a few small tweaks, I was able to make this cake into my own masterpiece. It turned out great, I received a lot of compliments about it, and Vienna also loved it! She ate a whole (small) slice all by herself! I call that a success!
What you will need: *The following recipe is half of the original. I made only a single layer cake rather than a double layer. Personal alterations are noted in parentheses.
For cake batter –
1 1/4 cups (unbleached) all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup (almond milk) – recipe calls for buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 1 (8-inch) round cake pan.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir in bananas. Add flour mixture and almond milk alternately to banana mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake about 35 (only 20 for our oven) minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
4. Frost cake with dark chocolate frosting. (Recipe suggests purchasing a can of frosting, but I chose to make my own as a “healthier” alternative).
1 10oz package Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels
1-2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup almond milk
1. Melt butter over medium heat in small saucepan
2. Slowly add morsels while stirring so that they begin to melt. Gradually add milk while stirring for desired consistency of frosting.
3. Gently coat cooled cake with frosting. Place cake into fridge if you wish for the frosting to harden.