I realized recently that when I began this blog I never really introduced myself. I sort of just hopped in and starting writing about anything & everything. Which is all fine and good, but I think that at some point the author should introduce themselves to their readers. So for the past few days I have been compiling a few factoids about myself that (hopefully) you will be glad to read and know about me — the author behind A Mother’s Window, Ashley W.
Here it goes. A short list of honest “fun facts” if you will. Enjoy!
- I speak German. I was 15 when I started studying it, and I stuck with it all throughout high school and college. It became my minor.
- My major in college was English. Yes, I read a lot of books and wrote a lot of essays; and yes, I am a stickler about grammar. No, I do not want to be a teacher. And no, I haven’t really “used” my major at any of the jobs I held when I used to work.
- I graduated with a Bachelors of Arts from Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Considered a small campus, AQ is cozy and woodsy and rooted in the Catholic and Dominican tradition. I had a great four years there.
- While at AQ, I met my best friend, fell in love with him, and married him three years later at the chapel on campus. We have been together almost 5.5 years. In November, we will celebrate our second wedding anniversary. We have a 13 month old daughter.
- I have been vegetarian for almost 7.5 years. Technically, I eat fish so I am a pescetarian, but I don’t eat it that often so I usually just say vegetarian. Plus, not a lot of people know what a pescetarian is, so it saves me time to not have to explain! I didn’t become vegetarian for any “animal rights” reasons- though now it sort of has become the main reason. I became vegetarian in college as an experiment- to see if it could be something I could DO, for fun. What started as an experiment has become the longest commitment I’ve ever had with anything.
- I have a tattoo of a Jesus fish below the left side of my collarbone. I would like to get more tattoos someday, but not sure of what right now.
- Pregnancy and birth were my two greatest fears. I have faced them both and actually enjoyed the journey!
- I gave birth without medication. The labor and delivery process went smoothly and I couldn’t have asked for anything different.
- I don’t have many friends; especially close ones. It is a sensitive subject for me to talk about. I wish things were different in that area, but they aren’t right now, and I’m trying to cope with the struggles that arise out of that fact.
- I have deep desires to travel often, to own a home, and to relocate to another state – we’ll see where life takes me and my family!
- Ninety-five percent of my wardrobe consists of neutrals: brown, gray, white, black, navy… I’m not a huge fan of color, so you will always find me in a neutral. Same goes for my daughter (most of the time – the basic rule is that if I wouldn’t wear it then she doesn’t either 😉 ). Boring to some – practical, simple, classic, and basic to me.
Don’t hesitate to ask if there is anything else you would like to know!