Almost a month into Fall and I’m already settling into this new season. Candles and tea have provided light and warmth to our home and our waking bodies on cold, dark mornings; sweaters and wool socks have become part of our daily outfits; morning walks while collecting leaves, sticks, nuts and berries have given us an opportunity to reconnect with nature — a peacefulness in our soul, a pause in our busyness of tasks and chores and activities.
There are so many things to love about this season, as I’m sure one can argue about any season. But there is something about Autumn that brings about a sense of nostalgia in me. Maybe it is that I’m at peace when life is slow and quiet, when I can be wrapped up in my home and the comforts within; or maybe it’s the excitement I have for the holiday seasons that are to come and the memories of them as a child.
Below I have shared some of the things that I am looking forward to, or, to me, are the essence of Autumn.
- Evening walks, crunching leaves, collecting acorns
- Carving pumpkins and roasting seeds
- Celebrating our anniversary (5 years!)
- Driving north to see the leaves changing color
- Going on a field trip to a local apple orchard with my daughter and her preschool class
- Hot cider and (vegan) donuts
- Soup soup soup
- Homemade applesauce and apple butter
- Baking: pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple strudel, bread
- Harry Potter (Sorcerer’s Stone, Goblet of Fire, Deathly Hallows)
- The Fugitive
- What Lies Beneath
- Young Frankenstein
- Random Hearts
- Finding Forrester
- Arsenic and Old Lace
- The Prestige
- The Village
- The Road
- Agnes Obel (Philharmonics and Aventine)
- Coldplay (Parachutes, Life in Technicolor)
- John Mayer (Born and Raised)
I’m curious to know: what are some of your favorite things about Fall?